LL.B. (Hons), LL.M, Senior Associate Solicitor
Regulatory and Environmental
0121 716 3730
Jacob is an experienced regulatory lawyer and advises across the public, private, and education sectors on a wide range of governance, regulatory and compliance matters. He has also previously been the Deputy Monitoring officer at the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Thames Valley and was the Head of Legal and Compliance at Birmingham City University.
Jacob provides expert advice in the fields of,environmental law, health and safety, fire safety, procurement, data protection and professional conduct matters.
- Advising on investigations, enforcement notices and full conduct of prosecution and defence cases involving regulatory offences by individuals, directors and or companies;
- Leading and conducting professional misconduct investigations and advising in relation to statutory complaint regimes, discipline, professional misconduct, academic misconduct and fitness to practice matters;
- Advising on and drafting a range of enforcement notices including abatement notices, alteration notices, suspension notices, prohibition notices, revocation notices, anti-pollution works notices and planning contravention notices;
- Preparing and appearing before planning tribunals or magistrates’ courts regarding appeals against enforcement, suspension, prohibition and revocation notices;
- Conducting Judicial Review proceedings against prosecution and enforcement decisions;
- Advising on policies, procedures and governance for prosecuting authorities and regulators and advising on decision making, statutory publication requirements, reporting requirements, financial rules and schemes of delegations within Universities, police forces and other public bodies;
- Providing training for officers and regulators;
- Setup and led a new Legal and Compliance team at Birmingham City University comprising, legal, information management, insurance, UKVI and EDI sub-teams;
- Advising police forces, local authorities and universities on procurement and providing representation and advice against challenges;
- Advising on a full range of compliance matters, including the implementation of GDPR and acted as the Data Protection Officer for Birmingham City University. Including advising and handling subject access requests and other data right requests.
- Advising and presenting at Audit Committees, Executive meetings, Governing Body meetings and Council meetings;
- Advising on governance matters including processes for the appointment of a Vice-Chancellor and for a Chief Constable.
Jacob enjoys running marathon and half-marathon distances, having completed the Atlantic Coast Challenge (3 marathons in three days) and London to Brighton events to raise funds for Charity. He also enjoys watching and playing football and is a Governor at a local primary school.